Court Saint Elizabeth #1486
Catholic Daughters of the Americas® is the largest international Catholic Women’s Organization in the world. Headquarters are in New York City with Courts throughout the Americas.
Court St. Elizabeth was founded in 1948 and currently has 150 active members from as far away as Florida. The organization is a social and fraternal one with a mission to enhance the spiritual and social lives of its members while making significant charitable contributions on the parish, local, state, national and international levels. Membership is open to all Catholic Women who are at least 18 years old.
Meetings are held the second Tuesday of the month at 6:30pm in Msgr. O’Hara Hall, Ascension Worship Site. Attendance is encouraged, but not mandatory. Participation as a member of one of the many Committees is expected of local members.
- On the fourth Friday of every month, a group of members visits a local Nursing Home and conducts a Prayer service for residents.
- Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Valentine’s Day, members provide “treats” for local Nursing Home residents.
- December, our Court sponsors a Birthday Party for residents of the Geraldine Thompson Home.
- Members make Rosaries to be sent to those who have none (during 1999, more than a thousand were made and sent).
- We collect stamps, can tabs, pennies (PENNIES FROM HEAVEN JARS in both churches’ vestibules) for assorted charities.
- During Lent, the Court sponsors an Evening of Recollection for women of our area.
- A May Annual Baby Shower that helps St. Clare’s and Epiphany House.
- Scholarships – For an application or further information, contact Kathleen Gorman at 732-776-8098 or Regent, Betty Ryan at 732-988-9330.
Two fundraisers are held every year:
In July, a BOARDWALK BOUTIQUE, a fundraising “flea market” held in the Pavilion on the Boardwalk in Avon.
In October, a CARD PARTY/GIFT AUCTION is held in the Avon Municipal Building.
We have a Pot Luck Dinner in November, a Christmas Party in December, a Covered Dish Supper in March, and refreshments and mingling before each monthly meeting.
Each month, all members receive a Newsletter detailing activities of the local, state, and national membership.
Dues are $15 for the year.